Saturday, November 2, 2013

Protyazhka. Warming Up For The Squat

Is it bad when I see a baby squat I get jealous? Everyone's goal should be to squat like a baby! Their form is pristine. Properly warming up and good flexibility should be priority before you squat. Below I will share some of my methods for doing so.
For a functional warm-up for your lower body training, give this old school method a try. It is known as a Protyazhka, a Russian Olympic lifter's protocol developed by yours truly, Sergey Smolov.

If you are not familiar with Sergey Smolov and his infamous squat routine check out these two articles: Druge Free Steroid-Like Gains for the Squat and Smolov for Front Squats.

A Protyazhka consists of a snatch grip long pull without any knee dip. It is combined into a combination of a press behind the neck and an overhead squat. Keep in mind, this will be essentially a barbell complex without rest. It will look like this:

Snatch Grip Long Pull 3-5 reps
+
Wide Grip Overhead Press 3-5 reps
+
Overhead Squat 3-5 reps

Do this for a total of four to five rounds.

To perform the snatch grip long pull, without knee dip, imagine the stiff legged deadlift (SDL). Start in the beginning portion of the SDL using a snatch grip. Using your hips only, drive the bar up. Remember, you are not performing an actual snatch overhead, you are just using your hips to drive the bar up.

The wide grip overhead press is to be performed behind the neck.

The overhead squat forces good technique. An overhead squat cannot be performed correctly with any major flexibility or form issues and I am in favor of utilizing this moving before every squat session. It forces one to use good technique, and it is a great motor pattern warm-up for this reason as well.

This circuit is a great way to promote good blow flow, raise core temperature, and stretch out tight areas. I personally use just the barbell, you can also use a broomstick as well. You could add a small amount of weight if you need it to push you into the hole if you are that tight, but remember it is a warm-up.

To take this a step further I like to incorporate the following before every squat session.

Leg Swings 2 x 12-15 swings
Garland Pose 2 x 45 second holds (use the elbows to apply pressure to the inner knee)
Stretch the Piriformis 2 x 20 second holds
Overhead Squats w/ a broom stick 2 x 10 reps
Foam Rolling (focus on, IT Band, Piriformis, quads, & hamstrings)

Slowly work-up to your working sets. If my first working set is say 275 lbs, my work-up will look like this:
45 lbs (bar) x 5-10 reps
95 lbs x 5 reps
135 lbs x 3 reps
185 lbs x 2 reps
225 lbs x 1 rep
Start...

The goal for me everytime is to make sure every weight feels "good." I shouldn't have any tightness, hot spots, or areas that are problematic. If I do 95 lbs for 5 and it feels shitty, I do it again. So, in other words, I don't move up till that weight feels nice and my body is warm with it.

If you do this, it will ensure a pretty awesome squat session every time. You will move bigger weights with better form and feeling better about it. Take the time to warm-up every time you squat!

3 comments:

  1. This is just what the doctor ordered! I needed a post like this...big time. Squat like a baby. Better yet, squat like a Russian baby :p Thanks, Phil. As always, your blogs are on point and very relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say you had a strong introduction and the pictures of the baby were absolutely perfect. They really did show excellent squat form, haha. I do a few of those things already; nonetheless, I will definitely add to my current regimen and try to stop myself from rushing through my squats...it is a bad habit. Thanks again for the exceptional timing of this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have followed your protyazhka warm-up plus the stretching/swing regimen for my last two days of Smolov Jr. and it has genuinely helped me, a lot! I am so surprised at what a difference it has made in my squat form and comfort. Thank you so much, Phil!

    ReplyDelete