Saturday, October 26, 2013

Smolov for Front Squats

..and it goes like this.

Recently, I wrote a post regarding my love for the Smolov squat program, called Drug Free Steroid-like Gains for the Squat. A few weeks ago I concluded my run doing the base mesocycle using front squats. I have looked around the internet and have not found too much information about using front squats with Smolov. So here is a basic run down of what I learned, and can share with you, if you are deciding on whether or not you want to do it.

First off, I had all intentions of doing the Intense cycle with the front squats, but knee pain for some reason became an issue. I had no pain what-so-ever during the base cycle, so I was a bit perplexed when it happened during the first week of the Intense phase. What can I say? I had to listen to my body.

Here is my 1-rep max (1RM) test before starting the base mesocycle, this was after doing a few months of an intermediate version of 5x5 I have adopted.
 
That was 275 pounds for a pretty smooth rep. I set my 275 pound max for my 1RM input into Smolov. So my training cycle looked like this:
Week # Monday Wednesday Friday Saturday
1 195x4x9 205x5x7 220x7x5 235x10x3
2 215x4x9 225x5x7 240x7x5 255x10x3
3 225x4x9 235x5x7 250x7x5 265x10x3
4 Rest Rest Rest
Test 1 Rep Max

Here is my 1RM test at the end of the four weeks:

So, that was 325 pounds for one rep. Not too shabby, 50 pound gain for just three weeks of hard work.

I have read a lot about coaches not recommending front squats for over 5-6 reps... Coaches like Charles Poliquin, who know way more than I, advise against front squats for high reps and to treat them like Olympic movements (low reps). Their reasoning is that the upper back can not sustain the load for high reps and you risk kyphosis (upper back rounding) as the muscles fatigue possibly leading to injury or dropping the bar on yourself.

I personally never had a big issue with it. In the beginning I did have a little bit of forward lean (more than needed) from muscle fatigue but this quickly disappeared after the first week and I was pretty upright on all of my sets. I kind of want to take the road of saying your body will adapt to anything. I certainly feel like this was the case here. As with any time I have ever done Smolov, my form becomes exponentially better with squats. My front squats were no exception, even my training partner commented on how well my sets looked more controlled and grounded.

So on the days of 4x9 and 5x7, don't fear them, you will adapt and get stronger. I really feel like my upper back got thicker and stronger in the process. I did add in band pull-aparts to aid in upper back/scapular strength. I did 3 sets of 50 reps with a micro mini band.

As far as additional work, I trained my upper body three days per week. I usually did them on the Monday, Wednesday, and Friday training days. This is what I did:

Monday:
Bench Press 5x5
DB Row 4x5
Band Pull Apart 3x50

Wednesday
Overhead Standing Press 4x5
Pull-Ups 1 x Failure
Face Pull 3x12
Ab Wheel 2x15-20

Friday
Bench Press 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
Chest Supported DB Row 4x8
Band Pull Apart 3x50

Saturday
Ab Wheel 2x15-20

That is pretty much it.

I stretched a lot, as I always do. I feel better physically when I do. About three to four days a week I would walk about 2 miles with my girlfriend and our dog. I never once felt "overtrained" through the process. My diet was pretty casual, probably around 3,000 calories on most days, I didn't track it. I just ate normally, which for me is in the 3,000 ball park, sometimes a little less. My weight did not budge at all, I hovered around 175 to 180 pounds. I do feel I lost some fat, as I visually looked leaner in my mid-section. Again, I did not take measurements as I didn't really care.

Smolov for front squats works just fine, and I would recommend any intermediate or advanced lifter trying to bring up their quad strength to give it a go. As I mentioned before, I did not do the Intense phase, so the might possibly be another animal. It is much harder, if not impossible, to cheat on front squats. So that would certainly play a factor in the Intense phase as a lot of the reps are simply grinded out with nothing but sheer will power and heart. It is more difficult to do that with front squats. Using the base cycle is a quick three work burst to your performance, give it a shot!

11 comments:

  1. A fifty pound gain on your one-rep max from three weeks of training is unreal. That blows my mind. I cannot imagine how awful/awesome your experience was with Smolov and front squats. It sounds like it was vicious. You are a hard worker. I am sure Sergey Smolov looks down upon you with a grin upon his Russian face :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always forget to mention things when I initially comment. I liked the supplementary work you listed that you do for other areas of the body while you follow Smolov's squatting protocols. I have been doing something similar. You can't handle much more than the squats sometimes. It was nice that you kept it real and reinforced the squat is the central focus during the program. Everything else is just the gravy on the biscuit...the frosting on the cake...the pico de gallo on the burrito. You catch my drift :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand this blog is quite old and no one has posted on it for a year or so. I am intending on doing the front squat Smolov program following the completion of the regular Smolov program. That is still a fair way away but if this blog still exists in a few months, I will post up the results of my regular and front squat Smolov programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do, that will be awesome! This blog will be here as long as the internet is still surviving :)

      What is your starting max going into Smolov?

      Delete
  4. Hey! I know this blog is old but I saw it at the beginning of my Smolov Jr for front squat because I was wondering if it could be done... I started at 275# max Front Squat... I did every squat session worked around my other oly lifting training... The hardest session was 10x3 at 255# in the second week, it was the only time I missed reps (failed 3rd rep of 6th set and 2nd rep of 8th set but finished 10th set)... My other training involved running, rowing, and metabolic conditioning so I didn't expect a 50# gain but hoped to break 300#... I tested yesterday and failed my first rep at 285# but made it on a second attempt with a belt and went to 295#, made it! I bumped to 305# because the weight didn't feel heavy on my shoulders but my mid back was failed on the way up... Dropped to 300# to at least make my goal but failed there as well... 20# PR on this Smolov Jr cycle in 4 weeks! Thanks you for your post, next time I do a squat cycle it will definitely be the entire Smolov cycle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://youtu.be/DPu1rYLaKek

      Here's the video of my squats...

      Delete
  5. Hey all!

    I am currently doing smolov jr. front squats. I maxed out on front squat a few weeks ago @395lbs. I set my 1RM at 95% so 375lbs. Today is our last day for the first week (10x3@315). It's a grueling program but it's definitely worth it. I'd highly recommend this program to advanced lifters who are looking to become beasts. It's tough and it'll test you physically and mentally. I personally have completed smolov jr. twice before this. Both proved to be successful. My first smolov jr. was a few years ago when I was a senior in high school. The first time around I deadlifted and went from pulling 502lbs to 550lbs in just four weeks. My buddy and I decided to give smolov jr. another go last fall of 2015. This time I back squatted and went from 500lbs to 550lbs. As you can see, I've had a lot of success. If you have the will power and you're smart about how you complete the program (nutrition, mobility, form, core work) then you'll do just fine. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently in week 2 of the intense meso cycle on smolov adult version.

    To start off my front squat was a weak 220lb. A multi year hiatus from lifting and having practiced front squats regularly for 3 months prior to smolov. In that time I worked up from a 180lb max to 220lb.

    After completing the base meso of smolov I gained 39lbs on my front squat and 4 lb lean mass. Very happy with an 18% increase in strength as is comparable % with a strong 300lb+ squater adding 50-60lb. I found the amount of time spent with a barbell on my neck a bit painful (cross arm grip) the first week.
    I'd greased the groove well by the second week and adding 10kg(22lb) to the bar made for a very tough task but still the weights went up. The 3rd week felt much easier than the second ( by that i just mean it was brutal but I didn't feel like the weight was crushing me on every rep anymore) even while adding 5kg(11lb) again. Your body just get used to the volume and workload by this point.

    Having completed the switching phase I've just finished week 2 of the intense meso. I really struggled with week one and was missing reps all over the place. I entered a new max a little higher than what I came out with from the base meso for the sake of rounding the numbers up. More than likely the reason for my poor performance. Knowing how well I adapted during the base meso I decided to start week 2 of the intense without dropping the weight. Lo and behold I was getting all reps (barely) and now at the end of week 2 I've caught up on my exaggerated number. I'm not sure how week 3 will go but I'm confident I will get the weights up in week 3. I'm really hoping I can gain another 40lb or so but if not it was still VERY worthwhile.

    I've done Smolov for back squats in the past but this was now a few years back and I was much stronger. Front squats is definitely more challenging but I can't see why smolov isn't a perfect way to improve your front squats. The intense meso is manageable. It will test your core strength but your body will adapt in timely fashion. Make sure you are well fed at all times. Smolov and cutting don't go together! Don't let the man talk intimidate you either. It's 100% doable by anyone who WANTS it.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just recently finished the smolov back squat program 6 weeks ago while in a slow cut. I see many lifters cut their cals by 500 and increase training volume which is stupid given an increase in training volume at your normal cals is a cut in itself (increase in output on the same cals). So what I did over the 12 weeks was cut 100cals for the first two weeks and 50cals for every two weeks after that finishing at -400cals by the heaviest lift. I had a few knee injuries before the cycle started but I made sure they were fixed before I started so I was ready to go. I started at a 1RM of 120kg or 264 pounds and at the end I finished with a new 1RM of 165kg or 363lbs. I have an old PR of 177.5 (391lbs) but I did the following things differently:

      - I was on a slow cut
      - Stretched a lot more (45mins a day on average)
      - integrated pause lifts
      - avoided using a belt
      - very strict on staying upright

      It can be done on a cut but you need to be really smart about it. As I said earlier, doing it by -500cals and increasing volume won't sustain you.

      I am about to start a smolov front squats program very soon. I have changed how I squat by standing wider and trying to activate more muscles in the process (i.e. more hip flexor and glue action in for squatting). The greater the muscle activation, the more force produced. I don't mind changing small things like this if my overall increases. I will be doing this again on the cut and meal timing is everything for me.

      To be smart on these big programs, make sure you plan your meals around your squat. I generally have my biggest meals prior to squatting and post workout after squats.

      Delete
  7. So its seems to be im the newest victim of smolov program.
    I started on tuesday smolov jr program for my front squat. I am a weightlifter so i hope i can improve my clean. My actual front squat is 140 kg (308 lbs) so y will post in a few weeks how it went with my new front squat, i hope i can do 145 kg (319 lbs) or 150 kg (330 lbs).
    Hope to survive hahaha ��

    ReplyDelete