Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Training Specifics


This week I had a physical fitness test at work (Fire Department). It doesn't mean the department actually cares about my fitness, they do it so they can get federal funding. In other words, they have to have a "Wellness Program" instated in order to get that cash from the guv'ment.

The PT test consisted of nothing spectacular (which I am happy about):
- 1 mile run on a treadmill. (b/c we all know a treadmill mimics running on the ground...)
- Push-ups performed to the cadence of a metronome (total bullshit).
- Sit & reach test. (Still haven't figured out why this test is done across the nation.)
- Body fat done using neck/waist/weight ratio (You could imagine how accurate this is.)

You probably have concluded from my sarcasm the amount of merit I put into this test. I think a lot of it comes from my personal training of myself, so the fact that the department is testing me is almost insulting-- but I understand why they are doing it. Especially when you have a lot of overweight, out-of-shape fireman walking around. Not to mention, it is nice to have the grant money to buy equipment and so on... even though after two years I still have not received my second set of turnout gear... despite national standards, oh well. Another rant for another time.

In any case, while I was mind numbingly running on the treadmill like a hamster on a wheel I was thinking about how training specifically for a task is how you become good at things. Sure there is some carry over from some training, but to be efficient at a task you have to train for that specific task. Running being one of them. One of the "instructors" walked up to me and asked me if I was going to beat so-and-so's 6:17 mile run. My reply was, "Nope, I'm just here because I have to be." Sounds like a horrible disgruntled employee answer, but let me explain.

I never run, not do I care to run or to be good at running. I hate it, I think it is a waste of time, it is horrible on my joints, and it interfers with my training. If someone loves to run, that is fan-freakin-tastic. You don't see me asking the instructors if they want to find a squat rack and measure dicks that way. 

The last time I had ran any further than 80 yards was about 1.5 years ago. So I was quite happy with my 1-mile run of 8:28 seconds. The last time I had ran, I ran a 6:37 mile. Why? Because I was forced to run 3 times a week. So, my body was trained to run. Not now, I do nothing but train for strength and walk with my girlfriend and dog at the park for about 2 miles per day. I do that, because I enjoy it. It gives time for my girl and I to talk, get some low intensity cardio in, and play with our dog. That is it. If I hated it, you wouldn't see me walking. I don't do anything I don't want to do, that isn't how I want to live my life.

I do perform sprints, prowler pushes, and hill sprints when I feel I need the extra conditioning, but this has not been a year round training regimen for me, because I don't feel like I need it. I'm fairly lean, I get through my training sessions fine, and I can perform my job functions well. Basically, I can wear turnout gear, an air pack, and a set of irons and do some work in a hot house. Good enough for me. My goals are specific to me, as they should be for everyone. 

Another test, the push-ups to a metronome, were no different. The interesting thing about this was I scored the exact same as I did about 18 months ago. Why that is interesting is becasue my bench press has improved by 70 pounds during this time. You would think my push-ups would increase because my bench press had increase so much, but it did not. So, again, my body is adapting to specifics. I find this pretty cool.

The reason for this rant, is just to show that if you take a physical fitness test or see someone do something that you don't do regularly-- take it with a grain of salt. Perhaps a tablespoon of salt. I am one of those people that likes to be great at everything, but I have to take a step back and think about what is important to me. Rather than be defensive, I should understand that I am in fact very strong in what I do and I train significantly different than what I am being tested on.

I respect everyone's great achievements, one of the fireman ran a 5:20 mile! Pretty badass, but it should be noted that he runs marathons. He trains to run extremely long distances, so 1-mile for him was probably like a walk to the kitchen to grab a snack.

Bottom-line, do what you do and be as awesome as you can at it.

1 comment:

  1. �� Man oh man, this post was a very good reminder to try to maintain a realistic perspective of yourself and your abilities. I, too, have a tendency to compare myself to others and it is rarely a fair comparison. I am very glad I read this post so that maybe I will not be so hard on myself yet always strive to be better at what I choose to do.

    On an unrelated topic from that, your girlfriend is a lucky lady. It is wonderful that you take time out to be with her and to focus on health of mind and body. I hope you have a great 2014.

    Thanks for the post. I will keep it in the back of my mind.

    ReplyDelete